Monday, January 16, 2006

My new home

So, about a month ago my roomate proclaimed that he was engaged to his mysterious girlfriend. I saw this coming. (his sudden and frequent disappearances from the house, the fact that he didnt come home half the nights of the week, the incessant text messaging when he WAS home.) He then let me know that he was going to move into her place and "live in sin" until they get married. Then he gave me a couple months to find a new place to live.

So, without delay, i started searching...
I wanted something inexpensive... something close to the city... and if possible i wanted out of my current place as soon as possible. I found something the first day i looked. I sat down at One World coffee to sift through the paper for possible apartment matches. After writing down a list of numbers and addresses to look at. As i went to leave, i saw a "apt for rent" sign posted to the door. I wrote it down and called it.

It seems the owner of One World has an apartment on the second floor of the building for rent. It's kind of deceptive to call it an apartment, because it's a weird setup. It seems like a European apartment layout or something. There are about 6 or 7 rooms where different people live (officially 'apartments'), but much of the rest of the it is 'shared space'. There is a shared living room, kitchen, etc. I took it. I move in at the end of January (very soon).

The downside is that it's kind of 'community living' and if you get stuck with a couple sour apples, it could spoil the whole experience. But i've been in need of some community interaction. I want to be more tied to the community in general... not stuck out in the suburbs with no one to talk to but my roomate's dog (the same dog that pees on the floor all the time, and is neglected by my roomate most of the time, by the way). Christian community is a good and necessary thing, but community with the secular world is needed too.

The upside is that it's dirt cheap, includes utilities, and is month-to-month. So, if it sucks, i can always bail quickly. I'm rolling the dice a little bit here, but only a little bit. I dont know what will happen, and that's part of the beauty of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger William Sofield said...

Hope it works out for you -- I'm curious about it. Let us know what happens, please.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Seth Ben-Ezra said...

That's pretty cool. And you'll be down in the neighborhood, too. Very nice. If you need help moving, let us know.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

thanks. i'll probably be able to handle it. i keep throwing stuff away (rather than accumulating, like most normal people) so, i dont really have anything big or difficult to move.

nothing i own doesnt fit in my car.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

Wow and right above One World. That is really cool. And if you find you need help please let us know.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home